Friday, August 28, 2009

Soarin'

"You can't be anything you want to be" my 3rd grade teacher lectured, "if you're in a wheelchair, you can't be a basketball player, can you?"

I have always remembered those "words of wisdom" (this was the teacher who put my name on the board- the only one ever to do so mind you!) and for some reason, I was mulling over them today.

As I'm deciding whether or not to jump into photography full time, open my own studio, and follow my dreams, I find myself putting up walls. Now isn't the right time, the economy is awful, what if I fail, what if I'm not good enough... the list goes on. Today, I stopped myself- I have so many people in my life who support me, love my work and believe in my dreams. I am the only one putting up barricades.

So, it probably isn't realistic for a wheelchair bound individual to aspire to be an NBA player, but did my 3rd grade teacher ever consider the NWBA?

You can be anything you want to be. Details may have to be modified, but never allow anyone to discourage you from following your dreams, setting goals and believing in your passions. Surround yourself with encouraging friends and family, and as my high school photography teacher told me "go soar."

Photobucket

Photobucket

Disclaimer: I don't make these awful faces when I'm shooting- I promise! Anyone willing to take some shots of me looking pretty with my camera?!

2 comments:

Nem said...

Sarah,
I hope for all students' sake that your 3rd grade teacher has retired. This year I started a new bulletin board called, "Ms. V's Positive Quote of the Week." I thought the first one of the year was quite fitting:

People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success.
~ Norman Vincent Peale

So go ahead, live out your dreams. Wonderful things are bound to follow!

Sarah said...

Your kids are lucky to have such a fabulous and encouraging teacher!I bet you don't put kids' names on the board! ;-D

Thanks for the positive words- I appreciate it and I'm sure the kids do too!